A car accident is always a stressful time for everyone involved. Not only do you have to worry about paying for repairs on your means of travel, but also the resulting injuries can require a lot of time and money to treat.
You can be the safest driver in the world and still be at risk of accidents because of the factors you can’t control, such as other drivers and road conditions. It’s important to know what to do after a car accident, so you don’t get overwhelmed and miss out on the compensation you deserve. Here are 12 guidelines to follow after you experience a car crash to ensure that you are safe and prepared for any subsequent legal actions:
1. Turn on your car’s emergency lights.
2. Move your vehicle to the side of the road if it is possible to do so safely.
3. Check on the condition of everyone in your car and the other vehicles involved.
4. Notify the police and request an ambulance if necessary.
5. Get contact, registration, and insurance information from the other people involved in the accident and also get contact information from witnesses.
6. Take photos of the scene of the crash, including the vehicles, impact points, and street signs or other locational markers.
7. Do not discuss how the accident happened or who was at fault with anyone. Do not apologize, as this can be taken as an admission of guilt.
8. Do not discuss your injuries with the other parties, since the severity of your injuries may not become apparent until later.
9. Keep track of the medical records for any related doctor visits after the accident. This is how you document your injuries for future legal purposes.
10. Consult an experienced car accident lawyer – 805-643-3900.
11. Do not sign anything for the other driver’s insurance company, agree to take recorded or written statements, or provide authorization for medical records without your lawyer’s consent. Refer the insurance adjuster to your lawyer.
12. Be honest about the accident and your injuries. Insurance companies can send investigators to determine the validity of your claims.
If you or a loved one has recently experienced a car accident and need legal assistance, contact the team at Grennier Law, PC. We specialize in personal injury cases and will strive to get you the most compensation possible for your damages. Let us take some of the stress away from this terrible situation so you can have some peace of mind.